Wednesday, December 17, 2014
Ha, ha, ha, ho, ho, ho - IBPA Board of Directors - CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
Thanks for this little piece of holiday cheer. I got a good laugh over the fact that you folks think you're really fooling us with this nominating process.
I mean, lets face it, this is a rigged procedure very similar to how candidates were chosen for the old Russian Politburo of cold-war days.
It's a contrived system and everyone who has more than a year in IBPA knows it. But just like the Russian days of old, everyone plays along with it, because after all, IBPA is run MOSTLY for the benefit of IBPA and its vendor supporters and not for the membership... similar to how the Soviet Union was run by and for the benefit of the Communist Party of the time.
Does anyone really know who is on the Nominating Committee?
Ms. Hay is supposed to confirm these members. My guess is that there really isn't any such committee. But let's assume I'm wrong and that there is... is it hand-picked by Deltina? Are the names made public? I've never heard or met anyone who was ever on this committee. But I'm not surprised. Let's face it, you can't rig an election out in the open too easily. It takes secrecy and you must limit the participants... and since the fall of the old Soviet block, no one has done it better than IBPA.
If there is a committee, what standards are used to select the nominees? What interview questions are asked? Do you think anyone who disagrees with how the association is run has a chance? I once thought that Pat Bell and then later Peter Goodman would shake some branches, but it never happened.
I'm not saying that IBPA membership does not offer any benefits. If I did I would not be a member. But each year it is getting harder and harder for me to rationalize renewal.
I've been asked by many over the past twenty years to fill out the nomination form and 'run.'
But I've said for twenty years that I would never serve an organization where I was not elected in a free and open process where the WHOLE membership was involved, and not 'appointed' by a secret committee chosen by who knows whom and voted on by ONLY those FEW members who attend the annual "meeting" when Pub-U is held.
(How hard would it be to hold an on-line election? Probably very difficult since the IBPA technology is about five years behind that of the average kitchen refrigerator!)
This whole nominating process and subsequent 'election' is a sham and worthy of nothing more than a good laugh.
It's good that IBPA does this process during the Christmas season because there are commonalities. The process is as fictional as Santa Claus and Mr. Scrooge, but everyone believes! Indeed, it is the season of joy!
IBPA's board and officer selection process give an added meaning to "Ho, ho ho."
Alan N. Canton, Managing Partner
NewMedia Website Design
"Websites for authors, publishers, and small businesses at an affordable price"
Fair Oaks, CA 916-962-9296
On Dec 17, 2014, at 9:54 AM, Angela Bole, IBPA Executive Director
IBPA Board of Directors: CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
View this email in your browser
Reminder: Wednesday, December 31, 2014 is the deadline to apply for a seat on IBPA's board of directors. See information below.
This is a friendly reminder that those interested should submit their application for a seat on the Independent Book Publishers Association's (IBPA's) board of directors no later than Wednesday, December 31, 2014.
Five seats are opening on IBPA's board. All IBPA members in good standing are welcome to apply. See below for more information and, as always, please let us know if you have any questions. We're happy to help!
Application Deadline: December 31, 2014
Each term on IBPA's board of directors is two years in length. Members are allowed to serve two consecutive terms. Potential candidates will be asked for a personal interview in addition to the written application. Here is the election cycle:
• Nov 14, 2014: Online application opens for IBPA's board of directors.
• Nov 30, 2014: IBPA's Board Chair confirms the members of the 2015 Board Nominating Committee.
• Dec 31, 2014: Online application closes.
• Jan 1 - 31, 2015: Board Nominating Committee interviews potential candidates.
• Feb 1, 2015: Board Nominating Committee chooses a slate of candidates for the five open seats.
• Feb 9, 2015: IBPA sends the Board Nominating Committee's slate of candidates to the full membership for consideration.
• Apr 11, 2015: IBPA membership votes to approve the slate of candidates during IBPA's Annual Members Meeting at Publishing University in Austin, Texas.
• Jul 1, 2015: New board members take office for a two-year term.
Being on the IBPA board of directors is an important way to help carry forth IBPA's mission of educating and supporting independent publishers and self-published authors. As a member of IBPA's board of directors you will directly contribute to the success of our 3,000+ members who pledge to adhere to the following Code of Ethics. . .
• To uphold the highest standards of our industry, to create works of lasting financial and/or cultural value, and to pursue editorial, design, and production excellence.
• To respect the rights of authors and other creators and stakeholders, to observe all copyright laws and conventions, and to never knowingly publish plagiarized work.
• To reward authors and contributors for their work, to be honest in our financial dealings, to write contracts in understandable language, to resolve all disputes promptly and fairly, and to foster equal opportunity in our workplaces.
• To not mislead readers or buyers with false promises, inflated sales data, or manipulated reviews.
• To recycle and reuse and to follow green practices.
Independent Book Publishers Association
1020 Manhattan Beach Blvd., Suite 204
Manhattan Beach, CA 90266